Woodland Carbon Guarantee
Guaranteed income for delivery of verified Woodland Carbon Units in England over the next 30 years.
The Government in England launched the Woodland Carbon Guarantee in November 2019. It supports woodland creation in England by spending £50m over 30 years to purchase Woodland Carbon Units.
This is a great opportunity for landowners considering creating woodland in England over the next few years. Successful applicants will benefit from a guaranteed income upon delivery of verified Woodland Carbon Units every 5 or 10 years up to 2055/56. The price will be agreed through an auction. Accessing the guarantee will require the woodland to be validated and verified to the Woodland Carbon Code.
- The first auction was held Jan/Feb 2020 - 18 contracts were offered for the creation of 182 hectares of new woodland. The average price paid was £24.11 per Woodland Carbon Unit / tCO2. 31 bids in total.
- The second auction was held in June 2020 - 27 contracts were offered for the creation of 1,517 hectares of new woodland. The average price paid was £19.71 per Woodland Carbon Unit / tCO2. 77 bids in total.
- The Third auction will be held 26 October - 1 November 2020. This auction features a new design whereby 75% of the available budget is ring-fenced for 'predominantly native woodland' projects. See the Guide to the Third Auction for more details.
Start your application by registering with the Woodland Carbon Code and see the Woodland Carbon Guarantee pages to find out how to apply to the guarantee and enter the third auction.
- If you don't have an account on the UK Woodland Carbon Registry, it could take up to 2 weeks to open an account, and register your project with the WCC and the Guarantee. Please allow sufficient time ahead of the Sunday 11 October deadline.
- Existing project developers can add your project to their account and this will be much quicker.
Note that you can apply to sell Woodland Carbon Units to government alongside applying for grant (for example the Countryside Stewardship, Woodland Carbon Fund or HS2 Woodland Fund) provided the agreement was signed after 29 October 2018 and you haven't yet started to plant your woodland. You also need to meet all the eligiblity criteria of the Woodland Carbon Code, including additionality.